Make Noise 0-CTRL could be your new favourite sequencing buddy
Clocking in at $399, the all-analogue sequencer packs a punch for its size.
Members of the modular synth community raced to the YouTube lobby of Make Noise’s latest video premiere today, as the brand hinted something exciting was on the horizon. Right on cue at 5pm BST, we managed to catch a glimpse at the Make Noise 0-CTRL, neatly hooked up to its older sibling, the 0-Coast.
The new desktop device easily connects to the 0-Coast and other Eurorack equipment, and is patchable, clockable and uses voltage-control to sequence your synthesisers. You can get hands-on with pitch, Strength, Time, direction and more, all with a tidy assortment of dials and patch connectors.
Happily, the 0-CTRL sports a friendly layout and interface, designed to fit in with Make Noise’s Pressure Points module. If there’s one thing we know about modular gear, though, it’s that a cute design doesn’t always equate to ‘cute’ sounds. The hands-on approach to 0-CTRL lets you manipulate your sequences in realtime with the touch-sensitive pads, adding depth and emotion to otherwise robotic patterns.
As Tony Rolando, Founder of Make Noise eloquently puts it: “There is a whole world of mood and emotion and musical setting that can be achieved with microtonal melodic playing. There is no exact prescription, you’re just tuning until it sounds the way you want it to sound.”
With a Dynamic Gate, Dynamic Envelope and a dedicated Time row, you can humanise your sequences, and “introduce the slop of how people naturally play”, Rolando continues. “Sometimes that slop is the magic, and is what gets the groove going.”
Slop or not, the immediate reaction from the audience on YouTube showed enthusiasm and a host of “Shut up and take my money!” comments. 0-CTRL’s connectivity means that it’s not only locked into the world of Eurorack, but you can also hook it up to some affordable synths and circuits that implement analogue patching. Plus, the appealing price tag of $399 might make it a tempting addition to your ever-growing gear list.
Check out the full list of specs below:
- Fully analogue and patch programmable, no menus or modes
- Sequence and Control the Pitch, Strength, and Time of your synthesizer voice, per step
- Voltage control over Stop and Direction
- Dynamic Reset, select Reset Step while sequencing
- Pressure and Touch Gate outputs for human-generated events and expression
- Dynamic Envelope and Gate outputs allow for voice loudness/ strength per note
- Gate output per step for patch programming sequence behaviour and triggering unique events per step
- Synchronize the 0-CTRL via the Clock In, or clock other machines with the Clock and/ or Gate Outs
- Sequence your synthesizer and play it by hand simultaneously with Sequence Interrupt
- Pairs well with the 0-Coast, Tape & Microsound Music Machine, or anything having CV Inputs
For more on 0-CTRL head to makenoisemusic.com
For more gear updates click here.
Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.Subscribe