MusicTech 206: Award-winning producer Marta Salogni interviewed
In this issue: award-winning producer Marta Salogni on working with Björk and FKA Twigs, plus an exclusive Moses Boyd interview and practical tutorials, industry insight and buyer’s guides.
Issue 206, Marta Salogni Interviewed
We’re used to dealing with changes to our music-making processes, and we’re always keen to explore how your studio time can be maximised by the advent of new gear or trends. Nothing, however, has affected the world of music production (and the wider industry) quite like COVID-19, which has had a devastating effect on freelance and gig-based musicians and producers. The UK government enforced its mandatory lockdown as we were finalising this issue, shutting down pubs, clubs and more.
Though there’s obviously a lot of concern right now, there’s also some positivity to be found, as many of us have a great deal more time to spend indoors, focusing on our tracks as we self-isolate. In our news section this month, we’ve rounded up some of the incredible free products that have been generously offered by big companies in the wake of the pandemic, and over the coming months, we’ll bring you features that are designed to help you collaborate with others, self-release and broadcast your music via the internet.
Elsewhere in this issue, we speak to MPG’s Breakthrough Producer of the Year Marta Salogni about her incredible rise to prominence, as well as her fusion of classic production techniques and DAWs. We also deconstruct the core elements of electronic dance music and explore how hand percussion can add rhythmic texture to your tracks.
We’ve got our usual range of step-by-step tutorials across all the major DAWs, and reviews of the latest hardware and software, including Waves’ versatile OVox and Mammoth Audio’s stunning debut Density. Stay safe and enjoy this issue.
MusicTech 206 includes:
- Marta Salogni Interview – The award-winning producer on her work with FKA Twigs and Bon Iver, and how an unlikely LinkedIn message led to her mixing for Björk
- Deconstructing EDM – We get the drop on EDM by breaking it down and building it back up again to teach you how best to sculpt risers, breakdowns and more
- Interviews – South London’s newest nu-jazz sensation Moses Boyd reflects on his astounding debut album Dark Matter, and remix surgeon Dr Packer explains how he breathes life into ailing disco floor-fillers
- Tutorials – Using polyrhythms in Pro Tools; Gain staging in Logic Pro X; Recording voices in Ableton Live, Getting to grips with dynamics in Cubase, Mastering in Studio One and Sculpting ambient pads in FL Studio
- Reviews – We get hands-on with Waves OVox, Warm Audio Bus-Comp, Universal Audio Apollo Twin X, SSL 2 and 2+, Soyuz Launcher, Mammoth Audio Density and more
- DVD – 3GB of video tutorials, workshops, software plug-ins and samples including Equinox Sounds Tech House Construction Kits, Caelum Audio Tape Cassette, Full Bucket Music Tricent mk III, Neurofunk D’N’B & Disco House, Top Blues packs & Tape Plug-ins from Loopmasters, plus Baritone Guitar Loops from Michael Denny
Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.Subscribe