Australian musicians are creating a local music streaming service operating under a co-op model

The Pack serves original and unsigned musicians of Western Australia.

When you purchase through affiliate links on, you may contribute to our site through commissions. Learn more
The Pack

Image: The Pack via YouTube

Australian musicians Melanie Bainbridge and Harry Deluxe are creating The Pack, a patron-powered music streaming service aimed at helping local unsigned artists earn a stable wage from their music.

The Pack operates under a co-operative model whereby listeners and local businesses subscribe on a monthly or annual basis, and 40 per cent of that revenue gets cycled back to the local musicians contributing content. The other 60 per cent gets reinvested into building the service further.

The project, which includes a web based platform and mobile app, serves musicians and businesses only in the Western Australian region. However, for artists to be a part of The Pack, they have to play only original music and be unsigned.

The Pack will be testing the co-operative model in a research setting consisting of 40 to 60 businesses, over 300 musicians and over 300 listeners across three local governments, with the aim of the experiment to “test the flow of data (financial and social) across a complex and interdependent music ecosystem”.

“All we’re doing is turning the business model of streaming on its head,” Co-founder Bainbridge said at a startup forum last Tuesday. “Instead of effectively benefiting the people at the top, it benefits the creator. So it gives them a revenue stream.”

The app will be tested around parts of Perth, with the aim of a commercial rollout in August next year.

Learn more at


Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.

Join Our Mailing List & Get Exclusive DealsSign Up Now

The world’s leading media brand at the intersection of music and technology.

© 2024 MusicTech is part of NME Networks.