NAMM 2019: IK Multimedia reveals the SampleTank 4
Featuring an upsized library, sleek new user interface, innovative sample engine and more. IK Multimedia has released the SampleTank 4, a massive update to its series of multi-timbral virtual instruments. Among its new features are a beefed-up sample library, a redesigned interface, a new function called “groove players”, and expanded effects. Here’s a closer look: […]
Featuring an upsized library, sleek new user interface, innovative sample engine and more.
IK Multimedia has released the SampleTank 4, a massive update to its series of multi-timbral virtual instruments.
Among its new features are a beefed-up sample library, a redesigned interface, a new function called “groove players”, and expanded effects. Here’s a closer look:
Expanded sample library
The SampleTank 4, like its forebears, is a great place to start for music creators. With its massive new library, the creative possibilities are almost limitless. It features up to 250GB of sounds and 8,000 instrument presets that range across a kaleidoscope of styles and genres. Almost all – 200GB – of the content is brand new, having been taken from high-quality recording sessions across Europe and the US.
The library includes sounds from concert pianos, keyboards, guitars, bass, drums, strings, brass, synths, vocals, percussion and much more. And thanks to the workstation’s efficient disk-streaming engine, larger sounds load faster.
It seems IK Multimedia went back to the drawing board for SampleTank 4’s interface. It’s been overhauled, and the result is an easy-to-use UI that’s fully scalable/zoomable to cater to all screen sizes.
One highlight of the revamped interface is the updated Sound Browser, which allows you to navigate sounds much more efficiently. There’s also a dedicated Layer interface that enables the creation of multiple layers – for up to 16 simultaneous sounds. Elsewhere, a new modulation matrix beefs up editing capabilities, giving you easy access to a range of envelopes, LFOs and oscillators.
Elsewhere, the SampleTank 4 has a new Mix window that lets you tinker with the parameters of all 16 tracks simultaneously. And from a single window, you’ll be able to adjust anything from volume to routing.
The SampleTank 4 introduces four new ‘groove players’ to the mix: an arpeggiator, strummer, phraser and loop manager. These turn simple presets into dynamic performances of sorts. And they include:
- Arpeggiator: Allows you to add patterns, set velocity, length, swing and more to your presets
- Strummer: Provides selection of chord positions, direction and more, and also creates accompaniment
- Phraser: Enables swift browsing and mapping of over 4,000 MIDI patterns
- Loop manager: Provides access to over 7,500 loops that can be mapped to and triggered by keys
SampleTanks 4 adds 13 new effects, bringing the total up to 70. Derived from IK’s AmpliTube and T-RackS software, the sounds include everything from tube saturation to old-school analogue pedals to professional studio processors.
Finally, the programme also features integration with IK’s iRig Keys I/O controllers, so you can use any other standard MIDI controllers to manage the SampleTank 4.
The software is available in the following versions:
- SampleTank 4 SE: An affordable entry into the SampleTank line, offering 2,000 carefully chosen instruments for 30GB of sounds. Retails for $149.99 (special pre-order price $99.99)
- SampleTank 4: Over 100GB of sounds, including 70GB of newly recorded material, for 6,000 sounds overall. Retails for $299.99 (special pre-order price $199.99; upgrade for only $/€149.99)
- SampleTank 4 MAX: The largest sample library IK has ever produced, it offers over 250GB, including 200 GB of all new sounds. That’s over 8,000 sounds in total. Retails for $499.99 (special pre-order price $/€299.99; upgrade for only $199.99)
Ships early 2019. More information at sampletank.com.
Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.Subscribe