Frankfurt Musikmesse 2014: New Akai Products
AKAI have unveiled a range of new hardware to be officially demonstrated at this years Frankfurt Musikmesse, included in the roster of new products are three new Ableton Live controllers, the MPX16 and most excitingly the Rhythm Wolf – an authentic analogue drum machine and bass synthesizer Read on for more details…. Press Releases Akai […]
AKAI have unveiled a range of new hardware to be officially demonstrated at this years Frankfurt Musikmesse, included in the roster of new products are three new Ableton Live controllers, the MPX16 and most excitingly the Rhythm Wolf – an authentic analogue drum machine and bass synthesizer
Read on for more details….
Cumberland, RI, USA—March 11, 2014. Akai Professional (akaipro.com), a leading innovator of music performance and production equipment, announces three new Ableton Live controllers—the APC40 mkII:
APC Key 25:
and APC mini:
In 2009, Akai Professional partnered with the creators of Ableton Live, a powerful performance and production software environment, and introduced the original Ableton Performance Controller. With the debut of the APC40, Akai Pro raised the standards for controller design and revolutionized Ableton Live software and hardware integration. Akai Pro now unveils the reimagined APC40 mkII along with two compact Ableton Live controllers—APC Key 25, and APC mini.
Akai Pro’s flagship Ableton Live controller, the new APC40 mkII, incorporates five years of user feedback into its design for extended functionality, countless musical capabilities, and improved workflow. The APC40 mkII features a 5×8 RGB LED clip-launching matrix, assignable A/B crossfader, 8 rotary knobs, 8 channel faders, and a send button for quick access to send busses. Included with the APC40 mkII is a suite of software, samples, and loops for out-of-the-box electronic music production:
Toolroom artist launch packs, Prime Loops sample packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Technology, and SONiVOX Twist give users endless music production possibilities with hand-selected samples & loops and high-definition virtual synthesizers. The APC40 mkII is USB-powered and supports plug-and-play.
APC Key 25 is the first controller designed for Ableton Live that is equipped with a high-performance keyboard. Uniting the power of a clip-launching panel with a keyboard interface, the APC Key 25 couples real-time control of Ableton Live with traditional composition tools. The controller includes 25 synth-action mini keys, a 5×8 clip-launch matrix with tri-color visual feedback, 8 control knobs, USB power, and plug-and-play connectivity.
The APC Key 25 comes mapped to Ableton, but can also be used as an all-purpose MIDI controller. APC mini is the most portable all-in-one Ableton controller solution with Akai Pro build quality. Engineered for the mobile musician or producer, APC mini concentrates the essential features of the APC40 mkII into a space-saving design. An expanded 8×8 multicolor clip-launching grid, 8 channel faders, and a compact chassis provide unprecedented hands-on control over Ableton Live with a small footprint. The APC mini is also USB-powered and supports plug-and-play.
APC Series Highlights:
• Ableton Live integration—seamlessly integrates 1 to 1 with Ableton Live
• USB-powered and class compliant—no power adapter required
• Ableton Live Lite—industry-leading music creation software from Ableton™ included
APC40 mkII Highlights:
• 5×8 RGB LED clip matrix—launches clips with visual feedback
• 8 channel faders, 1 master fader, and 8 device controls—map to Ableton Live directly
• Intuitive layout—revised knob layout with in-line controls for smarter workflow
• A/B crossfader—can be assigned on the fly for dynamic mixing
• Send button—press and hold Send and use the Track Selects to choose one of 8 sends
• Music production content—Toolroom artist launch packs, Prime Loops sample packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Technology & SONiVOX Twist
APC Key 25 Highlights:
• Ableton Live controller with keyboard—25 synth-action mini keys
• Tri-color clip matrix—launches clips and multicolor lighting displays clip status
• 8 assignable control knobs—hands-on-control of any Ableton Live parameter
• Octave Up, Octave Down, and Sustain—expands keyboard range and expression
• Music production content—Toolroom artist launch packs, Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech & SONiVOX Twist
APC mini Highlights:
• Tri-color clip matrix—8×8 grid launches clips and multicolor lighting displays clip status
• 8 channel faders & 1 master fader—provide hands-on-control of Ableton
• Compact construction—portable design for mobile performers and producers
• Music production content—Toolroom artist launch packs & Hybrid 3 by AIR Music Tech
Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill notes, “The APC40 was the original performance controller designed for Ableton Live and has become an essential instrument for Ableton Live users. Now we are able to deliver three new APC instruments for musicians, composers, and mobile performers that allow comprehensive, hands-on control of Ableton Live in any performance or production environment.”
The APC40 mkII, APC Key 25, and APC mini will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with the following anticipated MSRPs: APC40
mkII(£299.99), APC Key 25 (£99.99), and APC mini (£79.99). Akai Professional will unveil the APC40 mkII, APC Key 25, and APC Mini at
Musikmesse, Hall 5.1, Booth B45, March 12-15 in Frankfurt, Germany. For more information, visit: akaipro.com/messe2014.
Cumberland, RI, USA – March 11, 2014. Akai Professional (akaipro.com), innovator of audio sampling technology for music production and performance, announces the MPX16, an advanced sample player with onboard sound recording. The portable MPX16 plays and records .WAV samples using SD cards for powerful, reliable performance in live and studio situations. Like the popular MPX8, samples are triggered internally from the highly responsive MPC-style pads or an external MIDI device via USB-MIDI and 3.5mm (⅛-inch) MIDI inputs. Also a feature-packed MIDI pad controller, the MPX16 is equally capable of launching clips or adding trigger pads to a producer’s studio.
Samples are captured at CD-quality via dual 6.3mm (¼-inch) inputs or the onboard stereo microphone and saved to an SD card. The user may assign audio clips to the pads and apply tuning, filters, envelopes and “choke” grouping for creative, dynamic performances. An LCD screen and illuminated trigger pads provide visual feedback during use, and the MPX16 may be powered from a USB port or the included power supply. Naturally, users may load existing sound files onto an SD card or use the MPX16 as an SD card reader for drag-and-drop convenience on a Mac or PC. A software tool for even easier sample management is included via download.
• Plays and records stereo samples using easily accessible and reliable SD cards
• 16 velocity sensitive, illuminated pads let the user play back samples in real-time
• Balanced 6.3mm (¼-inch) inputs let you capture audio from a wide variety of sources
• Built-in stereo microphone lets you capture sounds on-the-fly
• USB-MIDI as well as MIDI Input and MIDI Output jacks for integration into virtually any MIDI setup for use as a pad controller, sample bank or both
• Onboard sound processing–tune samples, adjust ADSR envelopes and filters
• USB or wall powered (adapter included) for use virtually anywhere
“The versatility and capability of the MPX16 will make it a workhorse for performers of all types,” notes Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill. “We knew that an affordable sample player with Akai Professional’s practical MIDI integration would fit the needs of people wanting a no-nonsense way to access samples without computer dependency.”
The MPX16 will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with an anticipated MSRP of £139.99.
Cumberland, RI, USA—March 11, 2014. Akai Professional (akaipro.com), a leading innovator of music equipment for production and performance, announces the Rhythm Wolf, an analog drum machine and bass synthesizer module with built-in sequencing. The Rhythm Wolf is an authentic analog instrument that combines the coveted sounds of early electronic and hip-hop music with genuine Akai Professional workflow. Inspired by the classic analog beat machines and synthesizers of the past, Rhythm Wolf enables today’s musicians to harness iconic analog sounds for music production and performance.
The drum machine consists of five highly tweakable drum sounds and includes a kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion. Onboard controls allow users to customize the tuning, amplitude envelopes, and volume of each drum voice separately for precise realtime adjustment. The bass synthesizer features a selectable oscillator (sawtooth or square wave), classic filter design, a filter envelope with variable decay, and is capable of creating powerful bass sounds and squelchy leads.
Outfitted with six genuine MPC pads and a built-in 32-step sequencer, the Rhythm Wolf provides an ultra-responsive interface with a classic drum machine layout. Drum patterns can be fine-tuned using the Swing function, Pattern Select, and Tempo Control knob. A custom distortion signal path, activated by the “Howl” knob, adds grit and character for additional tone shaping. Rhythm Wolf features USB-MIDI, MIDI In/Out, a gate trigger, and integrates seamlessly with modern and vintage equipment. Two audio outputs enable producers and performers to mix percussion sounds and bass independently.
Rhythm Wolf Highlights:
• 5-voice analog drum machine and synth—authentic analog design that references classic rhythm machines and synthesizers
• Legendary analog drum sounds—kick, snare, open & closed hi-hat, and metallic percussion
• Synth-bass module—selectable square or sawtooth wave with classic filter design for warm, deep basses and squelchy leads.
• Onboard 32-step sequencer—classic drum machine workflow for quickly laying down grooves and melodies
• Six genuine MPC pads—responsive controls for sequencing and finger drumming
• Howl knob—custom distortion circuit for additional sound design
• USB-MIDI and MIDI In/Out—flexible MIDI connectivity for easy integration into modern studios
• Gate Trigger—triggering via modular synths, vintage sequencers, or external sound sources
• Independent audio outputs—dedicated outputs for the drum machine and synth-bass module for precise mixing
Akai Professional Product Manager Dan Gill notes, “The Rhythm Wolf puts those sought after analog drum machine and synthesizer sounds right into the hands of today’s musicians. We set out to make a compact drum machine and bass synthesizer, inspired by the classics, that can adapt to any studio setup and integrate with modern and vintage music equipment.”
The Rhythm Wolf will be available in Summer 2014, distributed worldwide with an anticipated MSRP of £159.99.
For more info please see Akai’s website
Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.Subscribe