Studio Interviews: Alfa Production
We join Adnan Gill at Alfa Production in Pakistan for a chat and look around his studio… Interviewee: Adnan Gill, mixing engineer and sound producer Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org Facebook: Alfa Production Pakistan Tell us a little bit about your studio? Alfa Production Pakistan. It’s based very near to my home in the commercial market. What’s in […]
We join Adnan Gill at Alfa Production in Pakistan for a chat and look around his studio…
Tell us a little bit about your studio?
Alfa Production Pakistan. It’s based very near to my home in the commercial market.
What’s in your studio?
- Studio Monitors: Genelec 8030a, Yamaha Msp7 and Yamaha Hs80
- Sound Cards: Apollo 8 Duo, Apogee Duet, Liquid Saffire 56 and FireStudio Project
- A/D Converter: Behringer ADA8200 Microphone Preamp
- HeadPhone Amp: RANE HC 6 Headphone Console
- Power Conditional and Light Module: FURMAN PL-8
- Microphones List:
- Neumann TLM 102,
- sE Electronics sE2200a II C!,
- AKG Solid Tube,
- AKG 4000B,
- AKG C3000,
- AKG D770,
- Shure Beta 56A,
- Shure SM57,
- Shure SM58,
- Samson 8-Piece Drum Microphone Set 1Q Kick, 2Q Snare, 3Q Tom1, 4Q Tom2, 5Q Tom3, 6C02 Over Head Lift, 7C02 Over Head Right, 8C02 Hi Hats
- Audio Plugging: UAD Plugins, Waves Plugins, Izotope Ozone, Antares Auto Tuner, FebFilter
- VST Instruments: Native Instruments Komplete 11, Stylus RMX, Omnisphere 2, Trilian, Musiclab Guitar, Ueberschall Elastik,
- Digital Computer Recording Systems:
- 1 Apple iMac Processor 3.40GHz Intel Core i5 Memory 16GB Hard Drive 1TB Graphics Intel Iris Pro 2000 MB
- 2 Apple MacBook Pro Retina Processor 2.8 GHz Core i7 Memory 32GB Hard Drive 1TB SSD Graphics Intel Iris Pro 2000 MB
- 3 Apple MacBook Pro Retina Processor 2.5 GHz Core i7 Memory 32GB Hard Drive 1TB SSD Graphics Intel Iris Pro 2000 MB
Which DAW do you use and why?
I’m using Logic Pro X. I use it because it’s interface is very easy to use. I also like its mixer (useful in tracking and mixing) folder stack, summing stack, busing and routing system. Personally, I think it’s best feature is Flex. We can make live instruments (drums, guitars etc) in time, and we can do pitch correction on vocals.
Favourite piece of gear?
Solid State Logic AWS 948.
How often would you say you spend in your studio per week?
I spend 8 hours per day in my studio except Sunday.
How do you use your studio? Are you recording bands, working professionally or just making music for fun?
I use it professionally and for fun as well, with lots of bands and artists of Bollywood, Pollywood and Lollywood
Do you have any crazy/interesting studio based anecdotes?
I was mixing and recording a live show when I realised after finishing it that it hadn’t recorded. I was so worried and praying for it to come back. Then I got the 2-track recording from the camera OB operator and treated it in my studio and it sounds so good that my clients haven’t realised yet.
Is it perfect already or is there room for improvement? What could you do to enhance the efficiency of your studio?
I want my rooms properly treated. It’s not available in Pakistan and most people don’t know much about it.
What is next on your studio shopping list and why?
I’d just like to invest in some good hardware so I can improve the quality of my productions.
What is your dream piece of gear and why?
My dream piece of gear is Apollo 8, 8Pre, 16Pre and Apollo Twin, so I can record a live band and live orchestra. You can add all UAD’s plugins to the wish list too!
What is the one piece of advice you would give someone just starting to build their own studio?
You absolutely need to get your room properly treated, a lesson I’ve learned the hard way. Once you’ve got that then it’s all about investing in good gear.
Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.Subscribe