MusicTech 203: 100 pro tips to make better music
Vital guidance and practical advice on production, mixing, mastering and more.
Here we are, at the dawn of a brand-new, fresh decade, bursting with musical ideas and ready to take on the world. But when it comes to it, trying to generate success for your music can be a daunting, complicated and stressful endeavour. Fortunately, you’re not alone.
One of our core values here at MusicTech is communication with the wider industry, and bringing a range of voices to our pages. There really are no better people to learn from than those who have built successful careers making or producing music. In our cover feature this month, we’ve compiled the very best advice from the numerous people we’ve spoken to this year, divided into specific categories that spans the entire music making process right through to career development. We hope this feature serves as an easy-to-navigate, go-to bible of inspiration for whatever tricky moments lay ahead on your journey.
Elsewhere in this issue, we pay a visit to Tech Dissect, a brand-new event designed to inspire creativity and connection for womxn in the music production world. During the day, myriad issues with regard to equality in the industry were explored, and in attendance were many creative women who shared their experiences and skills, while also serving as advocates for greater inclusion.
Also this issue we have our usual range of tutorials covering all the major DAWs, and under our tree this year we found a sack-full of new music-making goodies, including the gorgeous Moog Matriarch, Arturia’s AudioFuse 8Pre and some astonishing microphones courtesy of Austrian Audio. I hope you enjoy this issue. On behalf of all of us at MusicTech, I want to wish you all a very happy and productive new year. Enjoy the issue.
MusicTech 203 includes:
- 100 Pro Tips – We compile the very best tips and guidance to better equip you for a roaring ’20s of music-making
- Tech Dissect – We speak to some of the artists and producers involved in the event designed to support womxn in music and music production
- Interviews – Zia McCabe, The Dandy Warhols’ keyboardist, bass player and percussionist talks to us about her process; London-based producer O’Flynn
talks about sampling and bringing humanity to electronic music; and studio head Dan Carey gives us an insight into his creative processes
- Tutorials – Selection-based processing in Logic Pro X; Building a bass part in Live; Exploring the new features of Cubase 10.5; Capturing life with Studio One’s Sample One XT; and a guide on Reason’s Deeper with Sweeper & Quartet
- Reviews – We get hands-on with the Moog Matriarch, Dynaudio Core 59, Korg Volca NuBass, Behringer VC340 Vocoder, Arturia AudioFuse 8Pre, and more
- DVD – 3GB of video tutorials, workshops, software plug-ins and samples including AudioThing Frostbite 2 (demo), Modartt Organteq (demo), Cableguys ShaperBox 2 (demo), Odyssey Sequences (samples) and How to choose the perfect kick (tutorial)