MusicTech 200: The ultimate freeware guide
Read on to kit out your virtual studio with DAWS, plug-ins, drum machines, effects and orchestral instruments – all for free!
It’s pretty much certain that if you’ve bought this magazine, then you will have parted with some of your hard-earned cash on gear for your studio. And let’s be honest, it’s a safe bet you’re not done yet.
Unfortunately, our wallets aren’t bottomless, but even though we might think we have to spend ever-increasing fortunes on new tech to enhance our studios, it’s actually far cheaper to branch into the world of free software. In 2019, there are near-mountains of free software available – tailored for each part of the production process. But it can be a time-consuming quest to amass (and test) the right tools for your needs. So in this issue, we’ve rounded up the very best freeware that you can download to create your own free virtual studio.
You might have also noticed that this issue comes with an added extra! We’re celebrating a whopping 200 issues of MusicTech – and to mark the occasion, we’ve put together a brand-new, freshly written guide to mixing. We hope it will serve as a companion to you in the studio, should you need to refresh your knowledge of key principles, mixing approaches and more.
Elsewhere, we’ve got the final part of our Synthesis Masterclass series, which details how the computer became the ultimate synth! We also speak to former Pulp bass player and now Grammy-nominated producer Steve Mackey about his diverse career and also to the astute people at Black Lion Audio, who have combined the very best of modern technology with vintage designs.
In our reviews, we spend time with Behringer’s Odyssey and discover a faithful and competitively priced recreation of a classic. We’ve also got our usual in-depth tutorials, tips and guides, so I hope you enjoy our 200th issue!
MusicTech 200 includes:
- The Ultimate Guide To Freeware – The free-software world is overflowing with great music-making tools for your studio. We round up the best here
- FREE Mixing Companion – A self-contained studio reference guide explaining gain staging, parallel processing, mixing with pink noise and tips from the editors and top pros alike.
- Black Lion Audio – Nate Bierdeman on the story of his company’s world-class studio outboard
- Sound Synthesis Masterclass: Part 5 (Modelling And Virtualisation) – An in-depth look at the evolution and rise of the virtual synthesiser
- Interviews – Steve Mackey, ex-Pulp bassist, chats about his move to production; NYC-based electronic artist KYOSi talks performance and more
- Tutorials – How to layer arpeggios in Logic Pro; how to use Push in Live; using the channel-strip processors in Cubase; getting started with mixing in Studio One; and Using Reason’s Players creatively
- Reviews – We get hands-on with the Behringer Odyssey, Blue Cat Audio Late Replies, Roland JU-06A, Spitfire Audio Orbis, Chandler Limited TG Microphone, and more
- DVD – 3GB of video tutorials, workshops, software plug-ins and samples including Alex Hilton A1TriggerGate (freeware), AudioSpillage MiniSpillage (freeware), Behringer Odyssey (promo), and Swung Beats (samples)
Get the latest news, reviews and tutorials to your inbox.Subscribe