Superbooth 2019: Pioneer DJ Toraiz Squid is an ideas machine
Powerful 16-track sequencer is designed to be “the heartbeat of your studio”.
Pioneer DJ is seeking to solve all of your sequencing problems with an exciting new addition to its Toraiz range, dubbed the SQUID. A contraction of SeQUencer Inspirational Device, the SQUID is designed to be “the heartbeat of your studio and live setup”, according to its makers.
It’s based on a 4×4 grid of multi-coloured, backlit, velocity-sensitive pads with a plethora of hands-on performance controls. It can also control up to 16 devices, including modular gear (via CV/Gate), vintage synths, drum machines (via DIN SYNC) and your DAW.
Among its most interesting features are:
- Groove Bend
- Pioneer DJ is calling this the first of its kind on a production tool, letting you create original rhythms by moving a spring-loaded fader
- Interpolation function
- Fills in intermediate values between steps when a pitch, gate or velocity value has been set
- According to Pioneer DJ, this lets you instantly make phrases
- Running Direction
- Gives you the ability to reinvent sequences with 48 playback directions
- Time Warp workflow
- Lets you audition a previous phrase and save it as a new sequence
- For creating evolving phrases and chords
In all, this looks like a very capable sequencer for anyone wanting to control all their hardware devices from a single controller.
Available at the end of this month at $599. More information at pioneerdj.com.